Key market figures
Market capitalisation USD 4,351bn
Number of listed companies 2,118
2017 value of share trading USD 2,079bn
Number of ETFs listed 133
2017 value of bonds trading USD 7.74bn
Number of bonds listed 1,047
Number of futures contracts traded in 2017 0.11m
Number of options contracts traded in 2017 103m
Local market infrastructures
||OTC via CMU
||OTC via CMU
|Settlement and custody
Local market authorities and regulators
- The Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) acts as the central bank and the regulator of banks
- The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) acts as the securities and derivatives regulator
Market practices (ALL TIMES ARE LOCAL)
Omnibus account/securities Yes
Omnibus account/cash Yes
Irrevocable pre-matching No
Short selling Yes (some eligible securities)
Cash settlement/DVP Yes
Securities lending Yes
Foreign ownership limits No
Settlement Cash and physical
Trading cut-off Depends on individual products
Clearing cut-off 6.45pm
Tradable currencies HKD/USD/CNY
Account structure members Segregated and omnibus
Account structure non-members Segregated and omnibus
Give-up cut-off T+2
Adjustable ITM (In The Money minimum) Yes
Intra-day margin call Yes
Risk algorithm SPAN
Nominal limit of 10 units of the relevant settlement currency of the trade: HKD 10, USD 10, CNY 10.
Examples of market penalties
See buy-in practice below.
A compulsory buy-in is conducted against the failing party on the morning of T+3 with the failing party being responsible for buy-in costs and any incidental expenses, as well as a buy-in penalty of 0.5% imposed by HKSCC.
BNP Paribas customers benefit from free access to more detailed market information on our NeoLink webportal. Click here to access the Market Profiles or contact your relationship manager.
BNP Paribas Securities Services in HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
We are the largest General Clearing Participant (GCP) for equities in the Hong Kong SAR, China market, working closely with HKEx to maintain our position as the premier service provider to banks and broker dealers.
Our main services
We offer local clearing and custody to domestic and foreign institutions. Our core services include settlement, on-exchange clearing, safekeeping, corporate actions, proxy services, cash and collateral management.
- Innovative solutions to access the mainland Chinese market
- Local clearing solutions for both Hong Kong SAR, China equities and Stock Connect Northbound trading, supporting the optional Stock Connect real-time delivery versus payment (DVP) model
- Multi-Approved Partner Broker (MAP) Model, an integrated Stock Connect (Northbound) solution utilising partner brokers to internalise the settlement of transactions between the account of the investor and their broker
- Live since July 2017, one of the foreign banks providing Bond Connect settlement and custody solutions
- Broker-dealer outsourcing services
What makes us different
- Proactive involvement to enhance local market infrastructure (NextGen programme) and the Connect programmes
- The largest General Clearing Participant in the Hong Kong SAR, China equities markets
- Bespoke services to automate Bond Connect operating flows
- Innovative, responsive technology responding to market changes and the individual needs of our clients
Selected market recognition
- Global Investor Sub-Custody Survey(2017): Ranked first for Hong Kong SAR, China – unweighted
- The Asset Awards (2017): Best Sub-custodian, Broker-Dealers APAC
A sound partner
The BNP Paribas Securities Services Hong Kong SAR, China branch was established in 2008, now clearing approximately 15% of the Hong Kong SAR, China equities market. The service delivered by its 120 Hong Kong SAR, China - based staff leverages the support of our regional centre of excellence in Chennai.